(I like Trader Giotto's Three Cheese Pomodoro Pasta Sauce)
3/4 c white wine
1 lb thin spaghetti noodles
1 c grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
This is a tried-and-true recipe that has been meticulously honed to perfection over the years. It's a quick, easy and healthy dinner that the whole family will love. What makes it "top secret," you ask? Two super-healthy ingredients that add a subtle, sublime sweetness to the sauce: Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and a simple, everyday carrot.
1. Begin by roughly chopping the onion and adding it to a large skillet with the coconut oil. Sauté on medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add the ground chicken and break it up into small pieces as you cook until the chicken is fully opaque.
3. Pour in the jar of prepared sauce. I've tried many over the years and Trader Giotto's (Trade Joe's) Three Cheese Pomodoro Sauce is my absolute favorite. Pour the white wine into the jar after you've emptied it, put the lid back on the jar and shake so that the wine "washes" the remaining sauce in the jar. Pour into the skillet. Reduce heat and cover the skillet to simmer.
4. While the sauce simmers, take the carrot and pulverize it in a high-powered blender or food processor. Stir the carrot into the sauce and continue to simmer. If you don't have a blender or food processor you can also shred the carrot into the sauce using a peeler.
5. Stir in 1/2 c of the Pecorino Romano, cover and continue to simmer for at least 20 minutes (longer is fine, but give it at least 20 minutes to blend all flavors).
6. Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions and drain.
7. Add the spaghetti to a large serving bowl or platter and top with the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining Percorino Romano on top and garnish with fresh Basil (optional).
Serve with a salad and garlic bread for a truly delicious family feast!