The holiday season is officially here – along with all the traditional and sometimes not-so-healthy holiday foods. It can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to adapting family recipes to suit everyone’s dietary needs, so here is a little help. Make this delicious vegan, gluten free stuffing using basic ingredients along with Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil and flavor-free, odor-free Culinary Coconut Oil. We mix the roasted Brussels sprouts right into the stuffing, but you can keep them as a separate vegetable dish as well.
1 cup minced onion
1 cup chopped celery
4 oz sliced mushrooms
6 Tbsp Barlean’s Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
3 cups vegetable broth
12 oz gluten free stuffing mix (discard spice packet)
3-4 sage leaves, sprg of rosemary, sprig of thyme
1 lb Brussels sprouts
3 Tbsp Barlean’s Culinary Coconut Oil
salt and pepper
1. Begin by roasting your Brussels sprouts:
2. Preheat over to 400 °F
3. Wash, and trim Brussels sprouts, then each cut each sprout in half.
4. Dry sprouts well with paper towels. (This is important; sprouts will not roast as well if they are not very dry.)
5. Spread sprouts onto a baking sheet and spread dollops of Barlean’s Culinary Coconut Oil on top of sprouts.
6. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and place on the center over rack.
7.Roast in the preheated oven 20-30 mins. Mix and turn the sprouts with tongs every 5-7 minutes. Sprouts should be tender and browned with some slight charring when finished. Set aside.
8.Turn oven down to 375°F.
9. Put onions, celery, mushrooms and coconut oil into a stockpot and sauté over medium heat until onions are transparent.
10. Pour in vegetable broth and add fresh sage, rosemary and thyme to taste. Hint: Crush fresh herbs in fingertips before chopping and adding to recipes to bring out flavor and aroma.
11. Bring broth mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.
12. Gently fold in in gluten free stuffing mix (bread cubes only, discard spice pack if included). Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
13. Gently add roasted Brussels sprouts and mix.
14. Spoon mixture into a glass casserole dish that has been greased with Barlean’s Culinary Coconut Oil. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove cover for the last 5 minutes to brown and crisp top.