Toxins are everywhere in our environment: in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat and even the products we touch. Our bodies are designed to neutralize and eliminate toxins. But sometimes, the chemical burden is too much for our natural detoxification systems. That’s when we need a little help.
YOUR TOXIC BODY
According to a study conducted at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, people have, on average, traces of 91 toxic chemicals in their bodies, including synthetic pesticides and plasticizing agents. Toxins are coming at us constantly — from lead pipes and paint in older homes…to soft plastic in children’s toys…to off-gassing chemicals from carpets and furniture…the list goes on and on.
NATURAL BODY DETOX
The good news is there are many natural ingredients that can jumpstart your healthy detox. Since they work in different ways, it’s good to cover your bases with a variety of them.
NATURAL LIVER DETOX: Liver detoxifiers, such as milk thistle, L-glutathione, calcium D-glucarate, NAC and broccoli concentrates, help your liver filter toxins from your body and then neutralize them. Milk thistle’s active constituent silymarin not only helps clear toxins from the liver, it also protects liver cells from damage.*[i],[ii]
ESTROGEN DETOX: Estrogen metabolizers, like the lignans found in flaxseeds, help counter the effects of hormone disruptors (such as xenoestrogens, or foreign estrogens) that affect hormone-sensitive tissues in the body such as the breasts.*[iii],[iv],[v],[vi],[vii]
DETOX WITH ANTIOXIDANTS: Antioxidants, such as alpha lipoic acid, as well as those found in green tea, fruits and vegetables, help reduce free radical damage.* The catechins in green tea are especially helpful in Phase II detoxification.*[viii]
HEAVY METAL DETOX: Heavy metal detoxifiers, such as zinc and magnesium, bind with heavy metals, helping release them from the body.*[ix] In addition, vitamin C has been shown to reduce lead levels in smokers.*[x]
CLEAN YOUR COLON: Fiber detoxifiers like flaxseeds contain indigestible roughage that helps sweep toxins out of the colon.*[xiv]
Barlean's Platinum Environmental Detox features 12 key ingredients designed to cleanse everyday toxins. Learn more about Environmental Detox.* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- [i] Valenzuela A, et al. Planta Med. 1989;55(5):420-2
- [ii] Blumenthal M, et al. The Complete German Monograph Commission E Monograph. Austin, TX: American Botanical Council. 1998:11. 1969-70, 278.
- [iii] Touillaud MS, et al. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007 Mar 21;99(6):475-86.
- [iv] Velentziz LS, et al. J Br Cancer. 2009 May 5;100(9):1492-8.
- [v] Lignans. Linus Pauling Institute. Oregon State University. 2017. http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/phytochemicals/lignans#reference27
- [vi] Dai Q, et al. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Jun;12(6):497-502.
- [vii] Brooks JD, Thompson LU. J Steroids Biochem Mol Biol. 2005 Apr;94(5):461-7.
- [viii] Gates D. Body Ecology. 2009 May 7. http://bodyecology.com/articles/studies-show-tea-detoxification.php#.Ui4SeEYsxEd
- [ix] Mercola J. 2018. https://www.mercola.com/article/mercury/detox_protocol.htm
- [x] Dawson EB, et al. J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr; 18(2):166-70.
- [xi] Mercola J. 2010 Jul 3. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/03/chlorella-shown-to-remove-mercury-in-mice.aspx
- [xii] Uchikawa T, et al. J Toxicol Sci. 2010 Feb;35(1):101-5.
- [xiii] Nakano S, et al. Chemosphere. 2005 Dec;61(9):1244-55.
- [xiv] Axe J. Dr. Axe: Food is Medicine. https://draxe.com/10-flax-seed-benefits-nutrition-facts/