Adapted from Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon
Photos By: Danniel Davenport
I love chocolate. It is probably up there on my top 10 most favorite things to eat on the planet. I don’t need an excuse to eat it and it can be smothered on anything (like ice cream), added into beverages of all kinds, or eaten by itself. My most favorite food/drink aside from chocolate is coffee. Since eating straight coffee beans out of the bag isn’t an option for most humans in the world, I opt for yummy brownies to eat alongside a cup of Joe. The upcoming holidays are a perfect excuse for me to make something sweet in the kitchen. Plus, this is a recipe that can be shared with almost anyone!
- 4 tsp. Barlean’s Forti-Flax + 3 tbsp. water (flax egg)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp. brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- ¼ cup cacao
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup + ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. Barlean’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- ½ cup sustainable palm sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup almond milk or milk of your choice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Mix all of your dry ingredients (save your brown sugar & palm sugar for the saucepan) together in a large bowl.
- On low heat in a separate small saucepan combine Barlean’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, almond milk, flax egg, brown sugar, palm sugar, ½ c vegan chocolate chips, and vanilla extract.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your large bowl with your dry ingredients and mix.
- Fold in your chopped walnuts & ¼ cup of your vegan chocolate chips.
- Place a piece of parchment into an 8 inch baking pan. Scoop your batter into the pan and flatten it using your fingers or a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes and let the brownies cool for 1 ½ hours! ß This step is really important or the brownies will fall apart on you. Enjoy with a warm cup of coffee or milk! These can be stored in a container for up to 3 days.
How do you use Flax in your recipes this holiday season?