According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, more than 300,000 ambulatory-care visits occur every year among children under the age of 18 due to a food allergy. To put this number in perspective, every 2-to-3 minutes a child is sent to the E.R. due to a food allergy – an alarming rate and something every parent works hard to avoid.
Egg allergy is one of the most common food allergy in children, running a close second to milk allergy. The best way to avoid a food allergy, of course, is to not consume the food; but what if you or your child wants to enjoy baked goods or other treats kids without the allergy enjoy? Fortunately, chia seed and flax seed are perfect egg alternatives for anyone allergic to eggs.
Simply mix one tablespoon of flax seed or chia seed with three tablespoons of water and voila! You have a nutritious, Omega-3 packed egg substitute!
Some recipes work better with chia seed and some work better with flax seed. Chia seed expands when placed in liquid, forming a gel-like consistency which is great as a thickener in soups, gravies, and porridge. Flax seed gives a nutty-flavor and an added crunch, so popping it into your favorite baked goods can be just the added taste-enhancer your taste buds have been missing!
Barlean’s, an award-winning and innovative leading manufacture of Omega-3 products, offers Organic Chia Seed, Forti-Flax (milled flax seed) and Flax-Chia-Coconut Raw Energy (a combination of organic chia seed, milled flaxseed, and lightly sweetened coconut flakes). Visit www.barleans.com to review these tasty super seed options, and get back to baking without eggs!
Try this yummy recipe the next time you or your child has a sweet tooth craving:
Raw Energy Cupcakes
Cupcake Mix Ingredients:
- ¾ cup Barlean’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- 2 tbsp. Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut Raw Energy
- 6 tbsp. water
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Lemon Icing Ingredients:
- 2-3 tbsp. Barlean’s Fish Omega Swirl Lemon Zest
- 1 can coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- ½ tsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste
Directions for Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or mixer. Mix until well-combined.
- Fill cupcake liners with batter and bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool before frosting.
Directions for Frosting:
- Remove can of coconut milk from the refrigerator. Scoop out hardened coconut cream. Save remaining coconut water for your favorite smoothies!
- Using a food processor or mixer, whip coconut cream into soft peaks. Fold in raw honey, vanilla and Barlean’s Fish Omega Swirl Lemon Zest.
- Pipe onto cupcakes once cooled.
- Serve and enjoy!
How do you work around your or your child's food allergy?