Whether you’re a child or an adult, snacks are important. They help keep your energy up and your cravings down. Snacks also can be an effective way to include extra nutrients in your diet and reduce overeating during mealtimes. Plus, snacking between meals means you’re not focusing on food, which in turn means better concentration.
Here are 5 healthy snack choices to help you and your child get through your hectic day:
- Cheese. Alone or combined with fruit, this kid-friendly snack packs a little protein punch to help your child’s energy levels last until dinnertime.
- Peanut Butter/Almond Butter/Cashew Butter. Full of protein and fiber, combine your favorite nut butter with rice cakes instead of bread for a healthy treat.
- Yogurt. Full of calcium and fun with fruit, consider adding Barlean’s Omega Kids Swirl in Lemonade flavor to help your child get a daily delicious dose of Omega-3s.
- Pears. Available year-round and rich in fiber, pears come in all sorts of varieties. Combine with low-fat cottage cheese for an extra protein punch.
- Homemade Snack Mix. Combine healthy ingredients like nuts, whole grain cereal, popcorn, banana chips and Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut blend for a tasty and nutritionally power-packed snack.
What are your favorite healthy snacks?