For many, salad is a favorite lunch entree. It can be dressed up and colorful with lots of ingredients, or made with your basic lettuce and tomato combination. That's the beauty of salad - it can be whatever you want.
Salad is also one of those entrees that can have a lot of hidden calories and fat. To keep it as healthy as possible, consider the following:
- Make it colorful. Colorful foods - fruits and vegetables - contain a variety of nutrients and vitamins that are important to your daily diet.
- Replace your dressing. Use Flax Oil, an abundant source of plant-based Omega-3s, instead of traditional vegetable oils. It offers you a boost of healthy fats that will in turn support a more balanced Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio - something we all need.
- Spice it up. Add your favorite spices and peppers to amp up the flavor. Your salad will taste better, and your taste buds will thank you!
Need an idea in how to incorporate these three tricks in one tasty salad entree? Check out this flavorful, yummy Southwest Salad recipe with Cilantro Dressing!
Southwest Salad with Cilantro Dressing
Recipe created by Kristen Mattila
Vegan/Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-free
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Cilantro leaves
Ingredients (Cilantro Dressing)
Makes 1 1/3 cups
- 3 tbsp. Tahini
- 1.5 tbsp. Miso
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Dash of Hot Chili Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Barlean's Organic Flax Oil
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until creamy.
- Mix all salad ingredients together.
- Top with Cilantro dressing and enjoy!
How are you spicing up your lunch this summer?