Recipe Created By: Danniel Davenport
I absolutely love jam on toast, and strawberry jam is my most favorite. It conjures up happy memories of my grandmother making me oatmeal and toast before school. I remember every piece of toast was slathered with margarine (her favorite) and a sugary heap of delicious strawberry jam. It always tasted so good, and I wanted to share this experience with my family, but maybe not with so much sugar! Plus, I really wanted to make something with our homegrown rhubarb, which I had in the freezer from last season. Strawberry and rhubarb pair perfectly together, but unfortunately I was completely out of strawberries.
Then, I noticed a canister of Barlean's Superfruit Strawberry-Kiwi Greens on my counter and I had my answer to the lack-of-strawberries dilemma. I knew that I could quite possibly make a very unique jam that would be both tasty and healthy, and that I wouldn't be giving my children something with a ton of added sugar. Barlean's sweetens all of their Greens products with Stevia, so I knew I could give it to my kids and not have them bouncing off the walls in an hour or two. Plus, all of Barlean's Greens products are Non-GMO and gluten-free. This is how my "O.A.R." (Orange, Apple, Rhubarb) Superfruit Fridge Jam came to be. Once made, feel free to enjoy it on toast, in oatmeal or over yogurt!
Makes 2-4 oz. containers of jam
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 ¼ cup rhubarb chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup peeled apples chopped
- ¼ cup of segmented oranges chopped
- Dash of maple syrup (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
- ¼ cup water (I used filtered)
- 2 tablespoons of Barlean’s Flax-Chia-Coconut Raw Energy
- 1 scoop of Barlean’s Superfruit Strawberry Kiwi Greens
- Dash of salt (optional)
- Place rhubarb, apples, oranges, maple syrup, vanilla and filtered water into a saucepan.
- Cook on medium for 20 minutes. You may need to add a little more water through for texture.
- Take off the heat and use a potato masher to make the mixture more uniform.
- Let it cool in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes or more if needed.
- Then, add Barlean's Superfruit Strawberry-Kiwi Greens, Barlean's Flax-Chia-Coconut Raw Energy, and salt (if using).
- Mix it all together and pour jam into small jars.
- Store for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.