Barlean’s is proud to announce that it is the FIRST flax oil company to be verified Non-GMO by the Non-GMO Project, North America’s ONLY third party verification for products produced according to rigorous best practices for GMO avoidance.
What are GMOs?
GMOs, or “genetically modified organisms,” are plants or animals created through the gene splicing techniques of biotechnology (also called genetic engineering, or GE).
What does “Non-GMO Project Verified seal” mean?
The verification seal indicates that the product bearing the seal has gone through the Non-GMO Project's strict verification process. Their verification is an assurance that a product has been produced according to consensus-based best practices for GMO avoidance:
- They require ongoing testing of all at-risk ingredients—any ingredient being grown commercially in GMO form must be tested prior to use in a verified product.
- They use an Action Threshold of 0.9%. This is in alignment with laws in the European Union, where any product containing more than 0.9% GMO must be labeled. Absence of all GMOs is the target for all Non-GMO Project Standard compliant products. Continuous improvement practices toward achieving this goal must be part of the Participant’s quality management systems.
- After the test, they require rigorous traceability and segregation practices to be followed in order to ensure ingredient integrity through to the finished product.
- For low-risk ingredients, they conduct a thorough review of ingredient specification sheets to determine absence of GMO risk.
- Verification is maintained through an annual audit, along with onsite inspections for high-risk products.
Currently, Barlean's fresh Flax Oil, Highest Lignan Flax Oil and our Forti-Flax are verified Non-GMO. Verification is under way on additional products, and we will keep you posted!